Monday, May 28, 2012

Bikes

Today was filled with good things and not so good things.  We started off the day with a yummy breakfast of sweet potato egg cups.  Then we decided that Kevin needed a new bike, because his was a bit too small.  So he got a fun new bike, and Ethan gets Kevin's old one.  As soon as we got home, they went outside to ride.

They kept riding around the circle, but the uphill was a bit hard for Ethan.  Kevin was so sweet to keep getting off his bike and giving Ethan a little push.

Here's Kevin with his new bike.  He is one cool dude.

Troy giving Ethan one of the many pushes he needed to get up the "hills".

And here's Ethan on his "new" bike.  I was inside cleaning up and Ethan ran inside to tell me that he could ride a bike now.  Of course I had to go out and take pictures of my big boy. :)

After bike riding Kevin asked if we could read Harry Potter.  We've been working our way through the series, and were on book three, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.  I love reading together, and I think it's a really important part of having a super fit family.  We want to have fit minds, too.  All total we read about three hours today, and finished the book.  Then I cooked dinner, which was one of our favorites from Eat Like a Dinosaur, Fool's Gold, aka chicken nuggets (which I make into strips instead because it's faster).  I highly recommend this cookbook, especially if you have young children.  Delicious food all around.

And then we decided to drive down to a trail by the river to go for a family bike ride.  I was pulling Ethan in the trailer, and everything was going fine.  And then we came to a hill.  It was really steep going up, and even on the easiest gear my legs were working hard.  Then came the downhill, and both Troy and I started worrying about Kevin.  He didn't seem to quite have his breaks completely down yet, and next to the trail there was a fairly steep dropoff down to the river.  So Troy was hurrying to catch up to Kevin, to make sure it all went all right, and Kaitlyn lost control of her bike and crashed.

It was pretty horrible, but she was very good about it.  Of course, she cried.  You can look at the pictures and see why, but it took a long time before we were able to get home.  Troy had to ride back and get the truck, and we told him we'd meet him at the next pick up point.  Well, I had no idea how far the next stop was, and although I found a spot where the trail met the road, I knew Troy would never find us there.  Eventually we all found each other, and walked quite a ways to the truck.  Ethan was nice enough to let Kaitlyn squeeze into his trailer and he walked.  And like I said, Kaitlyn was a very good sport.  I have great kids.

Warning: these pictures are pretty gross!




Kaitlyn is doing okay.  Her and I laughed together in the kitchen while I worked on tomorrow's breakfast and lunch.  She's a tough girl, and I'm very glad to have her.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, those photos made me cry. Poor sweet Kaitlyn. The last scrape looks kind of like a heart... maybe that will make her feel better. :) You do have great kids, and they have great parents.

    Also, I am so scared of biking downhill. I'm getting better at it, but it still makes me shake and almost cry.

    How do you read for 3 hours out loud? My voice always get tired when I read out loud.

    ReplyDelete